Stuff You May or May Not Want to Know

Friday, December 21, 2012

It's a Kid's Christmas, Charlie Brown

I love kids.

I used to be absolutely terrified of them before I had my own. Friends and relatives would hand me their newly born babies and I would just freeze up, thinking, "Oh, jeeze, what if I drop it? What if I break it? How much does it cost to replace one of these things?" I used to think of them as tiny, fragile little things that I, being about as delicate as a bull in a china shop on a good day, would grip too tightly. And if I were careful enough and didn't hurt it, what if it didn't like me and started screaming and wouldn't stop... ever? What if it pooped on me? Would I have to clean it up? How in the hell would I do that?

But having my own showed me that for the most part, kids are pretty good natured about things. At least mine is.

And they tend to bounce pretty good. At least mine does.

No, I haven't dropped him. He tends to throw himself off of things, hit the floor and giggle like mad, then get up to do it again. He's all boy, that one. He scares the crap out of me, but now it's in a "Oh, god, can I throw myself under him in time to break his fall?" kind of way.

Anyway, I've discovered that I have the remarkable ability to tune out any and all repetitive (read: annoyingly chipper and sickeningly sweet) children's songs. Those toys that make noise? I don't hear them at all anymore. Ever. But the back of my brain notices when they're not playing, and I get suspicious and go check on the little monkey to find him scaling a bookshelf in the office after somehow getting the door open. Or sitting on top of the coffee table, playing with his cars and wondering if he can make the jump from the table to the couch.

Yes, it's a gift to be able to tune out music and sounds like that.... wait, where was I?

Here ya go -- some of our favorite Christmas tunes this year, from my Little Monkey to yours.


12/21 - Kids' Christmas by Lilith X.M. on Grooveshark

Track listing:
I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas - (as it appeared on) Dr. Demento Presents
The Chipmunk Song - Alvin & the Chipmunks
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - The Ronnettes
O Christmas Tree - Vince Guaraldi
All I Want for Christmas - The Count

No comments:

Post a Comment